AEW EVP Kenny Omega has commented on speculation that AEW was founded to compete with WWE.
Since the company’s inception, many fans have viewed AEW as an alternative to WWE’s product. When AEW Dynamite first started, the show was in direct competition with WWE NXT in what many dubbed the ‘Wednesday Night Wars.’
Speaking with CBC Radio, noted that his idea for AEW was to give a platform to more stars.
Discussing the variety wrestling fans now have, Omega said:
“In professional wrestling, there are a lot more people doing it than you’d probably realize. There are a lot of people with a lot of big dreams that just don’t have the platform to show just how talented they are.
“AEW, for me, is being able to show the world some of the men and women who maybe wouldn’t have had a voice or wouldn’t have had the stage to show what they do best.
“I think it has allowed for just, I would say, more variety, and that’s why I’ll never say that we went into this to compete with WWE.
“I just want to give people the option to see things that are different stories that you might not be able to see there.”
Omega recently addressed rumors about his wrestling future, following speculation that he could soon head to WWE.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- WWE Accidentally Leaks Scrapped WrestleMania 39 Plan
- WWE Confirms Vince McMahon An Employee Of The Company
- Big Matt Riddle WWE Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- CM Punk Spotted In Los Angeles With Two AEW Stars (PHOTO)
- Major Star In Los Angeles Amid WrestleMania 39 Return Rumors
- The Usos Break Character To Praise Sami Zayn Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Triple H Has Big Plans For WWE Raw Star
- Carmella’s Role At WWE WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- WWE To Scrap Planned Title Change?
- Plans For Popular WWE Star ‘On Hold’ Until After WrestleMania 39