AEW star Kenny Omega has commented on his hopes for the future, following his NJPW IWGP United States Championship win.
Omega made his NJPW in-ring return at Wrestle Kingdom 17, wrestling Will Ospreay in his first NJPW match since January 2019.
After a brutal bout, Omega hit Ospreay with his One Winged Angel finisher and pinned him to become the new IWGP US Champion.
Speaking with Tokyo Sports, Omega stated that he plans to defend the gold in NJPW or his home promotion of AEW.
Recalling his previous IWGP US Title reign, Omega said:
“I want to (defend the title in) either New Japan or AEW. When I was the US champion, I (had) most of my defenses in Japan. So I want to do it not only in the United States, but also in Japan.”
Omega became the inaugural IWGP US Champion in July 2017 and held the title for 210 days, dropping the gold to Jay White in January 2018.
The AEW EVP will have the chance to win AEW gold on January 11, when Omega and the Young Bucks face Death Triangle in a ladder match for the AEW Tag Team Championship on Dynamite.
This bout will be the final contest in the two teams’ best of seven series, with both teams currently tied with three wins.
More details about plans for the Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay rivalry have been revealed.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Former WWE Star To Return On The Raw After WrestleMania?
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?
- Update On Rumored WWE Releases/Cuts
- Report: WWE Having ‘Larger Conversation’ About Wrestler Safety
- Update On Current Champion WWE Has Legitimate Concerns About
- Unseen AEW Matches Coming Soon?
- Spoiler On WWE Star Set To ‘Shine’ On March 20 Raw