WWE SmackDown star Kevin Owens has revealed why WWE nixed plans for a match with Vince McMahon at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans in 2018.
As we’ve already covered, Owens said that the plan at one point was for him and Sami Zayn to team against Shane & Vince McMahon.
Speaking with Kenny McIntosh, Kevin Owens said:
“Yeah, that was really cool. I wish it would have led to more, honestly. But who wouldn’t feel that way? I think it could have, and I think it almost did. I really think, at one point, there was a chance that it was going to be me and Sami Zayn against Shane and Vince at WrestleMania – which would have been incredible – but Vince, I remember one of the things he had told me was, ‘I can’t run WrestleMania and focus on a match at the same time.’
“He felt like his best position was to not be in the ring, you know? But then also it was also the perfect situation for Bryan’s return. He got cleared medically and the storyline was already in progress. He was already so heavily involved in the storyline just because him and Shane were running SmackDown together, and obviously that was an incredible thing to be a part of Daniel’s return, especially in that building where he won the title at WrestleMania 30, so it was great.
“But it would have just been fun to keep that story with Vince going or have more interactions with him because, whether people want to admit it or not, to be in a story with Vince in any way, shape or form to be on television with Vince, it helps as a star to the fans that are watching on TV – especially this elusive, casual audience that people talk about quite a bit. To see… When they see a Superstar in the ring with Vince McMahon, it immediately helps add credibility to that person.”
Vince McMahon’s last official WWE match was on the October 8, 2012 episode of Raw against CM Punk which ended in a no contest.
Quotes via Inside The Ropes
What are your thoughts on the above story? Let us know in the comments on Twitter or Facebook.
- Dave Meltzer Responds To Latest CM Punk Controversy
- Report: How ‘Majority’ Of AEW Roster Feel Toward CM Punk Revealed
- Former AEW TNT Champion Considering A WWE Move?
- Report: WWE To Introduce New Championship Belt ‘Soon’
- Top WWE Star Working WrestleMania 39 With Broken Arm
- Potential Spoiler On Change To WrestleMania 39 Match
- Next WWE Hall Of Fame 2023 Inductee Announced
- AEW Name Opens Up About Training Action Star’s Daughter
- Top Star Argues WWE’s Investment In Roman Reigns Has Only Just Started Paying Off
- Former Women’s Champion Wants To Face GUNTHER For WWE Intercontinental Title