CM Punk made his historic return to professional wrestling on the August 20 episode of AEW Rampage, where he challenged Darby Allin to a match at All Out.
The following night, at WWE’s SummerSlam pay-per-view. Brock Lesnar made his return to WWE after 16 months and confronted Universal Champion Roman Reigns to close the show.
The timing of Lesnar’s return, as well as the return of Becky Lynch on the same show, made fans question whether WWE bringing back the Beast Incarnate was designed to ‘counter’ Punk’s arrival in AEW.
WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle recently appeaed on Wrestling Inc Daily, where he gave his thoughts on the situation. He said:
“Anytime you bring in Brock Lesnar, it’s a huge deal. So, yes, it definitely took away some of the buzz that was created when CM Punk and possibly Daniel Bryan joined AEW. But those two are big names, too. I think WWE did enough damage control by bringing Lesnar in, that I don’t think it (Punk joining AEW) will affect them much. But, they did lose Bryan and Punk, who I’m guessing was never going back to WWE, so that didn’t really matter.”
Angle then commented on Punk’s return after a seven year absence, wishing the AEW star luck. He said:
“Well, I think it’s great for wrestling. CM Punk is a huge name. He had an incredible impact on pro wrestling when he was with the WWE. So, he he made a great name for himself. If he wants to return, all the best to him. Good luck.”
Angle himself recently revealed that he received three different offers from AEW, but has not signed for the promotion.
quote via WrestlingInc
- Recently Departed WWE Name Signs With AEW
- WWE Star’s New Tag Team Partner Revealed?
- Liv Morgan Throws Shade At Former WWE Star Following Nickname Controversy?
- Triple H Ensures We Will ‘Witness History’ At WWE Elimination Chamber 2024
- WWE Star ‘Proud’ Of Roster Following Last-Minute Creative Plans Change
- AEW Star Turns Babyface
- Current AEW Champion Out Due To Visa Issues
- Randy Orton Comments On Vince McMahon WWE Allegations
- John Cena Addresses Vince McMahon WWE Allegations
- CM Punk Replaced By Top WWE Star Following Injury