Former IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion and ex-WWE NXT star KUSHIDA made his return to NJPW following the main-event of Tuesday’s (June 21) New Japan Road show.
In the final match of the event, Taiji Ishimori successfully defended his IWGP Jr Heavyweight Title against Best of the Super Juniors 2022 winner Hiromu Takahashi.
KUSHIDA then made his surprise return to confront Ishimori. He then revealed that he has signed with NJPW, and plans to spend the rest of his wrestling life with the company.
KUSHIDA left NJPW in early 2019 before signing with WWE that April. He went on to win the NXT Cruiserweight Championship in April 2021, dropping the gold to Roderick Strong that September, shortly after the NXT 2.0 reboot.
He last wrestled for WWE in March, ahead of his contract expiring in April.
A decorated NJPW star, KUSHIDA is a former six-time IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion, two-time IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Champion, and won the Best of the Super Juniors tournament twice, in 2015 and 2017 respectively.
Over 20 performers have left WWE this year so far. You can check out the full list of WWE departures in 2022 right here.
NEW JAPAN ROAD後楽園大会‼️
📲 #njpwworld で配信中📡
— njpwworld (@njpwworld) June 21, 2022
- WWE SmackDown Live Results – June 24, 2022
- AEW Rampage Live Results – June 24, 2022
- Bray Wyatt’s New Ring Name Revealed?
- Aliyah Pulled From WWE SmackDown Match
- Pat McAfee Challenges Happy Corbin To SummerSlam Match
- Viking Raiders Return As Heels With New Look On WWE SmackDown
- Amanda Huber Shares Heartbreaking Story Behind An Infamous Brodie Lee Pic
- Report: Huge ROH Show Announcement Imminent
- AEW Set To Be Involved With Shark Week, New Gimmick Match Planned
- Tammy Sytch Legal Update