The IWGP United States Championship changed hands on tonight’s (July 21) Fyter Fest episode of AEW Dynamite.
The show was main evented by Jon Moxley defending the championship in a Texas Deathmatch against Lance Archer. Archer beat Moxley by knockout to capture the title for the second time.
After the match, New Japan Pro Wrestling star Hikuleo entered the ring and stared down the new champion, as they will face each other for the title on next week’s AEW Fight For The Fallen show.
This marks the first time that a New Japan Pro Wrestling title has changed hands outside of a NJPW in over eight years, the last time it occured saw La Sombra (Andrade El Idolo) defeat Shinsuke Nakamura for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship in CMLL on May 31, 2013.
Moxley won the IWGP United States title from Archer in a Texas Deathmatch back at Wrestle Kingdom 14. His reign clocked in at a total 564 days.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Cody Rhodes Claims He Almost Got Into A Backstage Fight With Top WWE Star
- Final 2023 WWE Hall Of Fame Inductee Revealed
- Update On WWE’s Confidence In Signing Jay White & Kota Ibushi
- Carmella WWE Absence Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Vince McMahon ‘Not That Involved’ In WWE Creative Says Nick Khan
- PHOTOS: First Look At WrestleMania 39 Stage
- Pat McAfee WrestleMania 39 Status Revealed
- WWE Stars Vow Bloodshed At NXT Stand & Deliver
- Former WWE NXT Star Makes AEW Debut
- Top AEW Name Says AEW Needs CM Punk & Believes He Will Be Back