Here’s the latest news regarding the ongoing lawsuit involving Randy Orton, WWE, 2K, and Orton’s tattoo artist.
In April 2018, Catherine Alexander – Orton’s tattoo artist – filed a lawsuit against WWE, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc, 2K Games Inc, 2K Sports Inc, Visual Concepts Entertainment, Yukes Co Ltd, and Yukes LA Inc.
In the lawsuit, she claims that those parties have infringed on her copyright by using the tattoo work she did on Randy Orton in video games without her permission.
In a new update, the trial for the case will officially begin at 9am ET on September 9 before the US District Court Southern District of Illinois (East St Louis), via PWInsider.
There will also be a pre-trial telephone hearing on September 1 in case anything changes before that, such as a settlement between the parties being reached.
US District Court Judge Staci Yandle previously handed Alexander partial judgement by deeming that WWE and Take-Two Interactive Software had copied her work.
It will be up to the jury to decide whether this rises to copyright infringement.
Randy Orton stated in a declaration earlier on in the case that he understood the tattoos to be his own personal expression and he was never told he’d need further permission to make them visible.
There are a lot of eyes on the case, because obviously if Alexander wins, it sets a precedent and it’s likely that other tattoo artists would try to follow in her footsteps.
We’ll keep you updated in the coming months with any more updates on this case.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- First Look At Owen Hart In AEW: Fight Forever Revealed
- Lita Makes Surprise Return Following WWE Injury Angle (Video)
- Cody Rhodes June 5 WWE Raw Plans Revealed
- Roman Reigns Shares First Comment Since Dramatic WWE SmackDown Ending
- AEW Teasing Popular Name’s In-Ring Debut?
- WWE Faction To Add New Members Soon?
- WWE Stars Announce Engagement (Photos)
- WWE Star Addresses Wrestling Future & Potential Retirement Plans
- Seth Rollins ‘First Title Defense’ Of WWE World Heavyweight Championship Already Happened
- VIDEO: Watch Backstage Moments From WWE Night Of Champions 2023