The likely reason why WWE moved the upcoming Money in the Bank pay-per-view to July instead of June has been revealed.
Andrew Zarian, who broke the news of NXT moving over to Tuesday nights, has now indicated that the plan is to hold the Money in the Bank pay-per-view on July 18, with the show set to have fans in attendance.
During the WrestleMania Backlash show last night, WWE announced that the Hell in a Cell pay-per-view will be taking place on June 20, the date that reports originally suggested WWE would be holding Money in the Bank.
This has been corroborated by Dave Meltzer on the latest Wrestling Observer Radio, as he noted that WWE probably wants to have a big pay-per-view as the first in front of fans, and decided on that being Money in the Bank. He said:
“So the deal is, originally the June show, June 20 which is the next pay-per-view, was going to be Money in the Bank, and now it’s Hell in a Cell, and the July pay-per-view is going to be Money in the Bank, because the idea is – I guess the mentality is that Money in the Bank, as far as a draw, would probably be the #4 or #5 show most years. It was #4 for a long time, but now they kind of position Survivor Series over it. Obviously #1 is WrestleMania, #2 is Royal Rumble, and #3 is SummerSlam. And then #4 has been Money in the Bank and/or Survivor Series.
“So I think the mentality is, if we go to a show with fans, just make sure that the first pay-per-view we’ve got (is) the biggest show we can do without upsetting our schedule and moving SummerSlam to July. So I think that’s the mentality behind the change.”
If you use this quote or any portion of it please credit WrestleTalk.com for the transcription and link to this page
With regards to when the decision was made to have the next pay-per-view be Hell in a Cell, PWInsider reports that the call was only made in the last week.
- Dakota Kai Teases War Games For WWE Clash At The Castle
- William Regal Believes NXT UK Stars Have Been Treated Fairly
- Jon Moxley To Face Nick Gage In GCW Title Vs Career Match
- Ronda Rousey Pokes Fun At WWE ‘Budget Cuts’
- Matt Hardy Says Triple H Taking Over WWE Creative Opens The Door For Many Returns
- WWE Raw After WrestleMania 39 Location Revealed
- Corey Graves Having More Fun On WWE Commentary With Triple H In Charge
- Kane Provides Huge Update On Wrestling Future
- PROGRESS Chapter 137 Results: New World Champion Crowned
- Inaugural NJPW STRONG Openweight Tag Team Champions Crowned