The second annual Mae Young Classic kicked off last night recording the first four episodes at the home of NXT, Full Sail University. The second night, which will include the Semi-Finals, will conclude tonight with the finals taking place at WWE Evolution on October 28.
Warning: spoilers to follow:
In the main event of episode one, the great Meiko Satomura defeated WXW and NXT UK star Killer Kelly to advance in an excellent match. Following a hard fought contest, Satomura sealed the victory with a Death Valley Bomb. Killer Kelly hasn’t found her niche in WWE yet with her only NXT UK victory in four matches coming in a Dark Match against Millie McKenzie.
In other results from episode one:
- Tegan Nox blasted Zatara
- Rhea Ripley best MJ Jenkins
- Lacey Lane went over Vanessa Kraven
- Ember Moon, Alexa Bliss, Lio Rush, Funaki, and Tye Dillinger were all present in the audience
Episode two was capped off by another notable outing between the great Mercedes Martinez and former IMPACT Knockouts Champion, Ashley Rayne. Near falls galore, this ended with Martinez standing tall following her patented fisherman suplex. It would be nice if Rayne secured a full-time WWE contract after proving herself across the wrestling water. Your writer expects huge things from the victor.
In other results from episode two:
- Deonna Purrazzo overcame Priscilla Kelly
- Zeuxis cracked Aerial Monroe. Onlookers heavily jeered the outcome
- Kacy Catanzaro survived Reina Gonzalez
- Samoa Joe, Cedric Alexander, Natalya, Sarah Logan, Liv Morgan, and the Undisputed Era were all in the audience.
The third episode was capped off by Mia Yim’s victory over Allysin Kay. Though it heavily featured interaction between Yim and Shelton at ringside, it was the Chinese star who got the last laugh with eat defeat from the summit.
In results from the rest of episode three:
- Kaitlyn went over Kavita Devi in a nothing match
- Toni Storm breezed through Jinny
- Xia Li smashed Karen Q
- Tyler Breeze, Johnny Gargano, Candice LeRae, Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, and Miss Anita were all present in the crowd
Episode four and the first round was headlined by another stunner as favorite Io Shirai advanced at the expense of Xia Brookside with a moonsault. Like Kairi Sane last year, Shirai is expected to go the distance and possibly headline WWE Evolution on October 28.
In results from the rest of episode four:
- Hiroyo Matsumoto defeated Rachel Evers in a cracking outing
- Taynara Conti outlived Jessie Elaban
- Nicole Matthews whitewashed Isla Dawn
- Kassius Ohno, Adrian Jaoude, Dana Brooke, Robby Brookside, and Akira Tozowa were all in attendance
The second annual Mae Young Classic will conclude this evening and be available to viewers as from September 5 on the WWE Network.