Malakai Black has revealed that he specifically requested a match against Dante Martin, which happened on the October 16 AEW Dynamite.
Speaking with The Five Count, Black was asked about potential future opponents he wants to face, but took some time to explain the reason behind him previously wanting to work with Martin.
“I requested to work with Dante because I felt I could bring something out of him, could show the world something about Dante, and Dante could learn something about himself and about the structure of matches that he didn’t know prior before that.
“Doing that for a guy that, I wouldn’t say in the twilight, but I’m 36. If I have another good 10 years left, that’s great, but while I’m still being built, it’s important for me to build others. By me building others and building stars in the company, the company grows stronger. There is going to be a business after me and I need to help the business after me.
“Guys like Dante, his brother (Darius), Fuego Del Sol, all these guys have something special and something unique. It might not manifest itself in the first year or two or three, but when you look at them, you know there is something about them.
“I’m trying to get that something and move to the foreground because that is eventually is what the business will be built on, these kids that 10-15 years ago, I was in the same spot they were and there were a lot of guys that either wanted to help me or did not want to help because they saw that in me. ‘If I reinforce this, it might cost me my spot’. I’m not one of those guys. I found the perfect balance in building others while building myself.”
In terms of people he does want to face going forward, Malakai Black named Chris Jericho, Christian Cage, Kenny Omega, Adam Page, Brian Cage and Powerhouse Hobbs.
Black teams with Andrade El Idolo this coming Saturday at AEW Full Gear to take on Cody Rhodes and Pac.
Quote via Fightful
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Major WWE Faction Potentially Splitting Up Soon
- ‘Lots Of Praise’ For WWE Star’s Performance On Raw
- Ex-WWE Name Ruled Out Of Joining AEW
- Top WWE Star Suffering Recurring Injury
- ‘Forbidden Door’ Match Announced For AEW Dynamite
- WWE Management ‘Happy’ With NXT Call-Ups’ Main Roster Debut
- Brock Lesnar Could Break Surprising WWE Record
- Major AEW Star ‘Bewildered’ He Could Walk Away After Recent Match
- Bryan Danielson & Kazuchika Okada React To Forbidden Door 2023 Match
- WWE SmackDown Segment’s Staggering Numbers Smash Social Media Records