Malakai Black is one of the elite few who have been NXT Champion. However, he thinks his reign was bittersweet.
Speaking with the Wrestling Perspective Podcast, Black said it felt like the wrong time because of the popularity of Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa’s rivalry. Here is the quote, courtesy of Wrestling Inc.:
“I knew it was coming. I had Terry Taylor who was one of the people, I think we spoke about it. Terry already knew and was like ‘look, it’s my job now to make you the guy. So I have to talk to you to make you mentally understand what that means to be the guy.’ I always look back at my NXT title (reign) a little bittersweet, because I felt that, and this might sound strange, I felt it wasn’t the right time.
“Because Johnny and Tommaso’s feud was so hot, I felt there was always a level of intrigue with me that could’ve passed through their feud, and then make the call. The decision was eventually made for like, so okay, I become champion. I had a match with Lars Sullivan, didn’t like that match at all for multiple reasons. And then I lost it to Tommaso, and I always felt like I was an interchangeable champion.”
Malakai Black (FKA Aleister Black) won the NXT title at NXT Takeover New Orleans. This was the same show that was main evented by Gargano and Ciampa’s Unsanctioned match.
Throughout his entire reign, Black never main evented a Takeover as NXT Champion.
- Cody Rhodes In Incredible Shape Amid Royal Rumble Rumours (Photo)
- Report: Sasha Banks Set For NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17
- Spoiler On Former WWE Star Making AEW Debut
- Shocking Update On Miro Being Absent From AEW TV
- AEW Rampage Spoilers December 9, 2022
- WWE Star Not Medically Cleared & Match Canceled As Precaution Ahead Of Very Important Show
- Dynamite Diamond Ring Battle Royal Winner Crowned On AEW Dynamite
- FTR Vs. The Briscoes III Stipulation Match Made Official
- Saraya’s Next AEW Match Revealed
- Must-See Star Making Ricky Starks & MJF Promo On AEW Dynamite