It’s no secret that it takes some time for someone to find their footing in wrestling, WWE specifically. Numerous WWE stars have been straddled with DOA gimmicks but managed to overcome that to find success.
The most notable example of this is with Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. Before he was the highest grossing movie star on the planet, he was blue chipper Rocky Maivia, a white meat babyface drowned out with chants of ‘die Rocky die’.
The Rock went on to join, and then lead, the Nation of Domination alongside various other stars, including WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry. Henry spoke on Busted Open Radio about the best character changes in the history of wrestling, where he mentioned the Rock’s change, and recalled a time where he wanted to quit the company.
“He fought that tooth and nail [to move away from his original gimmick]. It got to that point where he was like, ‘Man, I wish I could get to the quarterback because I will go back and play football.’ He hated it. He wanted to quit. It got to the point where he finally said, ‘Hey, let me try some stuff,’ and when he started trying, he started trying it in the car.”
Thankfully the Rock didn’t end up quitting wrestling, otherwise who knows if we would have the Hollywood box office star we have today.
transcription via sportskeeda
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- CM Punk Shares Follow Up Message After Now-Deleted Instagram Story
- AEW Pitching Creative For Star Rumoured To Be Leaving
- El Hijo Del Vikingo Next Match Announced By Tony Khan
- Report: AEW Star Refused To Lose Match, Hasn’t Been Used Since
- AEW Star Miro Announces New Role
- Report: News On Rumored Backstage Heat Between CM Punk & Jon Moxley
- Naomi Post-WWE New Ring Name Revealed?
- Update On Rumors Of Brock Lesnar Leaving WWE After WrestleMania 39
- Major WWE Star’s Twitter Hacked
- ROH Supercard Of Honor Adds ROH World Championship Match