Matt Cardona has recalled the original plan for his GCW run, and GCW World Championship reign.
Cardona made his first GCW appearance in June 2021, attacking Champion Nick Gage, imitating Jon Moxley before revealing himself.
The former WWE star went on to establish himself as one of the top heels in wrestling during his GCW World Title run, winning the gold that July, and losing it to Jon Moxley in September.
Cardona has wrestled for GCW in each of the seven months since dropping the title, most recently losing to Chris Dickinson at Joey Janela’s Spring Break on April 1.
Speaking on the Wrestling With Freddie, podcast, Cardona revealed that he was originally only slated to for three GCW appearances, noting:
“When I signed up to this GCW thing — when I did that Nick Gage match, it was going to be it was a three appearance deal, I was gonna come in, lay him out, have the match, and then lose the title. That was the plan. But we had so much buzz like that night when I beat Nick Gage for the title.
“We were competing against the Olympics and UFC. We were trending number one over both those things, pretty crazy for an independent wrestling show, you know? So I became a member of the roster. I don’t do every single show, but I do a lot of the shows.”
Cardona has taken on a ‘belt collector’ gimmick, currently holding the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship and IMPACT Digital Media Title, as well as gold from AIW, ASW and NYWC.
Transcription via Fightful.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- CM Punk Responds To AEW Return Announcement
- Update On Cody Rhodes Upcoming SmackDown Appearance
- Former WWE Star Reveals ‘Hypnosis’ Storyline Pitch To End Comedy Character
- Alexa Bliss Reveals In-Ring Return Preparations Prior To Pregnancy
- Top Star Explains Why He Didn’t Sign With WWE
- Seth Rollins First WWE World Heavyweight Title Defense Revealed
- AEW Rampage Spoilers For Friday June 2, 2023
- WWE Raw Star Shares Update On In-Ring Future
- WWE Name Opens Up About Losing Confidence, Names Stars Who Helped Him
- Absent WWE Star Still In Contact With Vince McMahon & Other Higher-Ups