An update has emerged on discussions for Mercedes Mone to wrestle at AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door 2023, prior to her recent injury.
Since leaving WWE, the former ‘Sasha Banks’ has only wrestled for NJPW and STARDOM, notably holding the IWGP Women’s Championship for 64 days earlier this year.
Her most recent appearances for NJPW saw her make it to the finals of the one night tournament for the NJPW STRONG Women’s Title at the Resurgence show, losing in the finals to Willow Nightingale after suffering an ankle injury.
Since establishing a relationship with NJPW, Mercedes Mone has teased appearances for AEW, hinting that she’d be in action at the AEW and NJPW crossover show, Forbidden Door.
Per Justin Barrasso of Sports Illustrated, multiple sources close to Tony Khan have confirmed that there were significant discussions between AEW and Mercedes Mone before she was injured.
During her match with Willow Nightingale, Mone took a hard fall to the outside and suffered an injury which many believed to be a broken ankle.
It is unclear when Mone will be able to return to the ring, however with Forbidden Door taking place on June 25, it seems unlikely that the CEO will be in action on this year’s card.
During an interview with Sports Illustrated, Tony Khan addressed CM Punk’s ‘exciting’ return, which you can read more about right here.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Updated List Of Released WWE Stars
- Mustafa Ali Gone From WWE
- John Cena Sends Message To Dolph Ziggler After WWE Release
- The Rock Reacts To WWE Releases
- Released WWE Star’s Final Match Set For Tonight
- Report: Released WWE Star ‘Caused All Kinds Of Issues’ Behind The Scenes
- Elias Breaks Silence After Being Released By WWE
- Update On Mustafa Ali WWE Departure
- Big E Reacts To WWE Releasing Dolph Ziggler
- Valuation Of Upcoming WWE SmackDown USA Network Deal Revealed