Todd Okerlund, son of recently passed WWE legend ‘Mean’ Gene Okerlund, spoke with TMZ about his father for the first time since his passing early Wednesday morning. Todd shed some light on what may have been a possible cause of death for the WWE Hall of Famer.
‘Mean’ Gene, who was already in frail health, suffered a fall in December from which he suffered several broken ribs. He was treated at a local hospital in Sarasota, Florida. That fall started a downward trajectory in Okerlund’s health. Just 4 days before his passing Gene was admitted to a nursing home. He reported trouble breathing the night before his passing, and was rushed to a nearby hospital. Doctors were unable to save the legendary announcer.
Todd told TMZ that the family was touched by the outpouring of support for his father, and that Gene loved his career in the wrestling business and would have done it for free.
WrestleTalk continues to send our well wishes to the Okerlund family during this time.
- First Ever NXT Iron Survivor Challenge Participants Revealed
- New WWE Star Debuts At Taping
- WWE Hall Of Famer Criticizes ‘Childish Stuff’ From The Elite
- WWE Star Ruled Out Of Big Match Due To Recent Injury
- WWE Star Slammed For Being A ‘Disrespectful Ripoff’
- Top WWE Star Teasing Return?
- AEW Star ‘Didn’t Even Bother’ Wearing Ring Gear For Recent Match
- WWE Spoils Return, AEW Stars Considering Leaving, CM Punk Scrapped Plans Revealed – News Bulletin – November 30, 2022
- WWE Star Makes In-Ring Return On NXT
- Starrcast Working With Oceania Pro Wrestling For Huge Event In 2023