Tama Tonga has announced that he has signed a new deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling, after recently teasing an AEW debut.
Ahead of Wednesday’s episode of AEW Dynamite, the Bullet Club original revealed that he was a free agent, fuelling speculation that he would appear for the US-promotion. As Tama Tonga’s original tweet featured a ‘misinformation’ hashtag, many fans questioned whether or not the former IWGP Tag Team Champion was telling the truth.
Speaking on Tama’s Island, Tama Tonga clarified that he was a free agent, but has since signed with NJPW. Tama Tonga specified:
“It’s true. I was a free agent on January 30. I am now officially signed with New Japan Pro Wrestling.”
The terms of his deal weren’t disclosed during the interview.
Tama Tonga has wrestled for NJPW since 2010. Over the course of his NJPW career, Tonga has won the IWGP Tag Team Championship seven times, and NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team gold on four separate occasions.
Last wrestling for NJPW in December 2021 during a Best of the Super Juniors/World Tag League show, Tonga was most recently in action during last month’s IMPACT TV tapings.
Quote via Fightful.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- AEW Star Announces Their ‘Retirement’ Before Dynamite Loss, Stablemate Vows Vengeance
- CM Punk Blasts Tony Khan, Chris Jericho & More In Now-Deleted Instagram Post
- Video: WrestleMania 39 Stage Being Constructed At SoFi Stadium
- Latest News On CM Punk AEW Return After Recent Teases
- WWE Star Revealed As Contestant On ‘The Masked Singer’
- Top AEW Stars Written Off TV For ‘A Few Months’?
- Kenny Omega Reacts To Match Against Vikingo On AEW Dynamite, AAA Responds
- Major Tease AEW Stars Could Leave The Company
- AEW Rampage Spoilers For Saturday, March 25
- Real Reason Top Star Missed AEW Dynamite