By Jamal Niaz
WWE recently announced that the New Day would be facing The Bar on next week’s SmackDown Live. Given that the two teams are in the midst of a comedic feud, this match being made shouldn’t feel like massive news.
— WWE (@WWE) May 9, 2018
However, the fact that the match has been named as a qualifier for this year’s men’s Money in the Bank match makes things very interesting. The winning team will be allowed to enter one member into the ladder match.
Warning: Spoilers Ahead!
A singles push for Big E has been rumored for some time and according to PWInsider, this match is the start of the process of splitting Big E from the group. It is expected that New Day will win the tag match with Big E going to Money in The Bank alone.
This news may be somewhat of a let down for long time New Day fans but it’s clear that they are no longer the massive hit with the crowd that they once were. They have been Raw and SmackDown Tag Team champions twice each and there isn’t anything else they can accomplish as a group.
PWInsider’s Mike Johnson speculated that Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods could keep the New Day going themselves. This might not be the best idea as the tag division on SmackDown is absolutely stacked and there are teams such as The Club and SAnitY that deserve a chance at the gold.
What are your thoughts on Big E getting a big push? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter here.
- Backstage Altercation At AEW Dynamite & Star Sent Home
- Top Free Agent Bandido Signs With AEW
- Big Match Scrapped From October 7 AEW Rampage
- Update On Investigation Into AEW All Out Backstage Fight
- Wrestling World Reacts To Alleged Backstage Altercation At AEW Dynamite
- Tony Khan Reveals Truth About Why He Takes Shots At WWE
- Saraya Gets Physical For First Time In Four Years On AEW Dynamite
- Tony Khan Discusses The Acclaimed & National Scissoring Day
- Former WWE Star Announced For Mayweather Vs. Deji Undercard
- Report: Popular AEW Star ‘Trying To Get Fired’