This is the G1 Climax that just keeps giving as Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii is now the fourth match of the tournament to receive at least a 5-star rating from Dave Meltzer.
(Warning: Video contains blood and NSFW language)
In the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer revealed the star ratings for the four most recent G1 Climax matches with the highlight being the 5 1/2 star rating given to Tomohiro Ishii and Kenny Omega.
The match took place on the 14th day of the tournament on August 8th and marks Omega’s third match with at least a 5-star rating in this bloc, following his matches with Tetsuya Naito and Hirooki Goto. This is also the second match with at least 5-stars that has involved Ishii with the first being his match with Goto.
The match is the highest rated of this year’s series thus far and the first defeat for Omega. The affray was extremely physical with both men bleeding from the mouth after Omega’s lip became badly lacerated during the closing sequence.
Ishii’s win will likely put him in line for a shot at Omega’s IWGP Heavyweight Championship sometime this fall.
As the G1 Climax nears its conclusion, there are still a number of matches that could challenge this one for the title of “best of the tournament”.
- Sting Pulled From AEW Double Or Nothing Weekend Due To Injury
- WWE Announces Change To Money In The Bank Location
- AEW Announces Championship Belt Redesign
- Another AEW Double Or Nothing Match To Be Added?
- Bobby Lashley Teases Brock Lesnar WWE Return
- Nikkita Lyons Provides Injury Update After Being Pulled From NXT 2.0
- Full Audio: Pre-AEW Double Or Nothing Media Call With Tony Khan
- Update On How Long Stephanie McMahon Will Be Away From WWE
- Men’s Owen Hart Foundation Tournament Final Set For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Paul London Says He Was ‘Shut Down Immediately’ When Reaching Out About AEW Role