New Japan Pro Wrestling has named their new president and, for the first time in the company’s history, he’s not of Japanese descent.
According to ROH World, Dutch businessman Harold Meij will man the helm as head of NJPW, replacing Katsuhiko Harada, starting next month. Meij takes over after guiding Japanese toy company Takara TOMY as CEO, serving as head of Japan Coca-Cola, and working for Heineken Japan in the 1980’s. A New York University alumni, he is a professional wrestling fan (and friend of NJPW owner Takaaki Kizutani) and will become the ninth president to take over since NJPW‘s first Antonio Inoki.
Meij joined TOMY in 2014, took the company from their biggest loss year in 2014 to their most profitable year ever in 2017. After leaving TOMY, he was tapped by Bushiroad President Takaaki Kidani for an executive role in NJPW. He is expected to begin as President next month. pic.twitter.com/GLDxLFTbhB
— Evan (@EvanDeadlySinsW) May 13, 2018
The announcement comes ahead of the highly anticipated Dominion super-event on June 9 at Osaka-Jo Hall, which will feature a two-out-of-three falls, no time limit IWGP Heavyweight Championship clash between Kenny Omega and champion Kazuchida Okada. Also, IWGP Intercontinental Champion Tetsuya Naito will defend his title against wrestling legend Chris Jericho, and The Young Bucks (Nick and Matt Jackson) will challenge EVIL and SANADA for their IWGP Tag Team Championships.
Also on the horizon is the co-sponsored Rev Pro/NJPW Strong Style UK live show tour, set to begin on June 30 in Milton Keyes. Shortly thereafter, NJPW will return to the United States in July for G1 Special in the USA.
— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) May 2, 2018
What do you think of the change in executive at NJPW? Will it help to further the growth of the company? Let us know what you think in the comments below or via our official Twitter feed.
- Harlod Meij
- Tetsuya Naito
- G1 Special in USA
- new japan pro wrestling
- njpw news
- Kazuchika Okada
- chris jericho
- The Young Bucks
- Kenny Omega
- Update On Former WWE Stars Signing New WWE Deals
- Dominik Mysterio Reacts To Recent WWE Releases
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- WWE Legend Shares Heartfelt Message For Dolph Ziggler After Release
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- WWE Star Teases Alliance With Bobby Lashley After SmackDown
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Will Ospreay Next AEW Feud Revealed?
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release