On January 4 and 5, NJPW returns to the Tokyo Dome for the first and second nights of Wrestle Kingdom 16. The third night of the event will take place on January 8 at Yokohama Arena, and has been advertised as a NJPW vs Pro Wrestling NOAH inter-promotional show.
Speaking with Tokyo Sports, Takami Ohbari stated that there will be roughly 10 matches featured on each of the first two nights of Wrestle Kingdom.
Indicating that more matches will be made for the event once the Best of the Super Jr and World Tag League tournaments have concluded, Ohbari said:
“First of all, please pay attention to the Best of the Super Juniors and the World Tag League, which are currently being held and will (both) be decided on December 15. ,I would like you to understand that the (wrestlers) and staff are concentrating (their efforts on these shows).
“I would like to have around 10 matches on both days (of the Tokyo Dome shows). I want to make the content and amount suitable for the beginning of the 50th anniversary. I want to build it.”
Translated from Japanese.
The finals of both tournaments will take place on December 15. Katsuyori Shibata will also make an announcement during the show.
The January 4 Wrestle Kingdom 16 show will be headlined by Shingo Takagi vs Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Will Ospreay will challenge the winner of this bout for the gold during the January 5 show.
Quote via POST Wrestling.
- Matt Riddle Next Move After WWE Release Revealed?
- Another Big Sign WWE Thinks Highly Of LA Knight
- WWE Star Reacts To Tag Team Partner Being Released
- Exciting Prospect Rumored To Join WWE Or AEW
- Ex-WWE Star To Make In-Ring Return After Five Years Away
- Update On Jey Uso’s WWE Status Following Raw Switch
- Mandy Rose Now Officially A Free Agent, Reveals Likelihood Of Returning To Wrestling
- Injured WWE Star Returning To In-Ring Training Soon
- Former World Champion Confirms He’ll Be A Free Agent On September 30
- AEW Star Addresses Dolph Ziggler Being Released By WWE