Former NXT UK referee Artemis has revealed why she left WWE.
Speaking with Cultaholic on Desert Island Graps, Artemis confirmed that she was offered a new tier contract ahead of her deal expiring.
Noting that the pay was a factor in her decision to leave, Artemis said:
“I’m going to be very blunt and very honest. The pay, the pay is a big issue. I’ve never earned as little money as I did in WWE, which I never thought I would say that. I thought it was going to be my full time job and that was going to be it and be great.
“I took a massive pay cut from being a teacher to being a referee, which is weird considering you’re on TV every week in several countries. During my two years under contract, almost a year without a contract and two years contracted, I offered to do other jobs to help and also to increase the pay, but I got told there was nothing.
“Just before my contract expired, they offered me a new tier contract. When I asked what the pay was going to be, they said it was going to be the same. I said, ‘I can’t do it.’ I have a mortgage, I take care of my mom. I can’t stay on that little money.
“It’s a shame, but I need to take care of my family. They extended my contract for two months, hoping to be able to negotiate and then they came back to me, I was supposed to do one last camp, at the end of April and they called me just a few days before to tell me, ‘You don’t want to extend the contract, we have nothing better for you, there is no need for you to come next week.’ I thought that was really s**tty.
“I had already told the wrestlers, the crew, my friends, my family, my referees, that it was highly likely that I wasn’t going to renew my contract, but we all knew we had one last camp to spend together, probably say goodbye to each other, and enjoy each other.
“Also, I was on 96 WWE matches. One last camp would have brought me to 100, at least, and I’m a bit OCD with numbers (laughs).”
Artemis had signed with WWE in January 2020 and officially finished up with the brand in April 2022.
Over 20 on-screen talents have left WWE this year. Stay up to date with every WWE departure of 2022 using our tracker at this link.
Transcription via Fightful.
- WWE Star Slammed For Being A ‘Disrespectful Ripoff’
- WWE Hall Of Famer Criticizes ‘Childish Stuff’ From The Elite
- WWE Spoils Return, AEW Stars Considering Leaving, CM Punk Scrapped Plans Revealed – News Bulletin – November 30, 2022
- Tony Khan Announces Newest AEW Signing
- Ric Flair Calls Fellow WWE Hall Of Famer ‘An Arrogant Prick’
- Vince McMahon’s Reaction To WWE Spending $30,000 On Crazy Purchase
- NXT Star Shocks Fans Calling Fellow Star ‘C*nty’
- The Usos Hit Another Insane WWE Milestone
- WWE Hall Of Famer Clarifies Royal Rumble 2023 Tease
- Tony Khan Open To This WWE Hall Of Famer Wrestling For AEW