Some backstage news has now emerged regarding Big E winning the WWE Championship on last night’s episode of Raw.
Big E cashed in Money in the Bank at the end of the show to win the title from Bobby Lashley, who had just retained it over Randy Orton.
According to Andrew Zarian, WWE had actually planned to have E cash in Money in the Bank and win the WWE Championship on the originally planned Raw draft date, which would have been August 30.
However, the draft was moved back to October 1 (SmackDown) and October 4 (Raw), so we ended up getting it slightly after the planned date, but before the draft.
It had been said that the booking of Lashley vs Orton and then E cashing in was a reaction to the recent success of AEW, and while that did probably still play into it, it seems the plan was always for E to win the title around this time so he could switch brands.
It had been reported several months ago that WWE was planning on getting him on Raw to reunite with New Day, so it all adds up to suggest that this wasn’t necessarily a last-minute rushed decision.
- AEW Star Signed To Full-Time Contract Confirmed
- CM Punk Vs. ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin WWE Plans Update
- CM Punk New Tattoo Revealed Following WWE Return
- WWE Announces Injury To Top Star
- WWE Star Makes Entrance With Legend At House Show
- Bryan Danielson Injury Update Ahead Of AEW In-Ring Return
- Jade Cargill & Another Absent Star Spotted In New Appearance For WWE
- ‘Frustrated’ Top Star Calls Out WWE
- WWE Star Unmasks & Swaps With Fan
- John Cena Reacts To Randy Orton WWE SmackDown Return