Jon Moxley will face Hiroshi Tanahashi for the interim AEW World Championship at Forbidden Door after CM Punk was forced out of the show through injury.
Moxley qualified for the match after defeating Kyle O’Reilly in a match to name Tanahashi’s new opponent for the show on Sunday, June 26.
As you can imagine, the original plan didn’t have CM Punk getting injured and then Moxley taking his place, so Dave Meltzer has revealed the original plan for Moxley at Forbidden Door in the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
Shota Umino & Wheeler Yuta & Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara & Minoru Suzuki. It continues the Jericho vs. Kingston program and should build for Blood & Guts next week. The original plan was for Jon Moxley to be in this match which is why Umino was there, as Moxley’s protégé, but again, aside from hardcore New Japan fans, nobody knows this. As a match this looks good, but we are in the environment where AEW delivers great matches on television weekly.
The winner of the match will presumably face CM Punk once he returns from injury to crown the undisputed AEW World Champion.
Here is the full card for AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door as of writing:
INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Jon Moxley vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
IWGP WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Jay White (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada vs. Adam Cole vs. Adam Page
IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP
Will Ospreay (c) vs. Orange Cassidy
AEW WOMEN’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Thunder Rosa (c) vs. Toni Storm
AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP
Pac vs. Miro vs. Malakai Black vs. Clark Connors
Zack Sabre Jr vs. ???
Chris Jericho, Minoru Suzuki & Sammy Guevara vs. Eddie Kingston, Shota Umino & Wheeler Yuta
ROH TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP & IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
FTR (ROH) vs. Jeff Cobb & Great O-Khan (IWGP) vs Roppongi Vice
EIGHT-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH
The Young Bucks, El Phantasmo & Hikuleo vs. Sting, Darby Allin, Shingo Takagi & Hiromu Takahashi
TAG TEAM MATCH
Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland vs. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
BUY-IN: EIGHT-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH
Billy Gunn, The Gunn Club & Max Caster vs. The DKC, Kevin Knight, Alex Coughlin & Yuya Uemura
- Scrapped Pitch For Sting AEW Retirement Revealed
- Bayley Reacts To Dakota Kai & Damage CTRL WWE Betrayal
- AEW Star Contract Expiry Update
- Potential WWE Signing Recalls Conversations With Shawn Michaels
- WWE Star Praises AEW’s Sting For Going Out On His Own Terms
- AEW Star Set For Return Match Against Brother
- Details On WWE Star’s Role In Upcoming Movie
- Cody Rhodes Sends Message To Sting Ahead Of AEW Revolution Retirement
- Former AEW Star’s WWE Return Match Announced
- Sting’s Son Shares Emotional Message Ahead Of AEW Revolution Retirement Match