The original plans for a botched segment on the September 23 edition of WWE SmackDown have been revealed.
During the show, Drew McIntyre challenged Karrion Kross to a Strap Match at Extreme Rules on October 8. The two heavyweights ended up brawling, before Scarlett attempted to save Kross by launching a fireball at McIntyre’s face.
The fireball distracted McIntyre long enough for Kross to get to his feet to continue to brawl. Scarlett dropped McIntyre with a low blow, before Kross choked the Scottish Warrior out, accepting McIntyre’s challenge.
Fightful Select (subscription required) reports that they were told very clearly that the flash paper used for the fireball was ‘not ready for live TV’. It was indicated that the plan was for the fireball to catch enough of McIntyre’s face to have him believably sell the shot.
Per the report, the rest of the segment following Scarlett’s interference was improvised by Kross and McIntyre. It was also noted that the flash paper had been brought to SmackDown on the company jet, and wasn’t brought in locally by the prop team.
Extreme Rules is the next premium live event on the WWE calendar, set to take place on October 8.
Check out the announced card for the premium live event right here.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Official WrestleMania 39 Night One & Two Lineups Revealed
- Newest Update On Bobby Lashley Vs. Bray Wyatt WrestleMania 39 Status
- Revealed: Will Vince McMahon Be At WrestleMania 39
- Report: AEW Star’s Contract Has Expired
- AEW Star Legitimately Injured On Dynamite
- Confirmation Of Big Change For WrestleMania 39 Match
- Major Name To Return To WWE When Company Is Sold?
- Shock Return & Heel Turn On AEW Dynamite
- Tony Khan To Retire Championship Belt Design
- Tony Khan Admits He Considered Major AEW Character Change