Original ROH Final Battle Plans For Jay Lethal Revealed

Original ROH Final Battle Plans For Jay Lethal Revealed

AEW sent former ROH World Champion to the ROH Final Battle show last week, to replace ROH World Champion Bandido, who had been pulled from the show following a positive COVID-19 test.

Lethal was originally intended to feature in a singles match against Vincent on the show, as the Righteous member explained on the Shining Wizards podcast this week.

Vincent explained the original plan for Lethal at Final Battle, saying:

“As it got close to the show (ROH Final Battle), I was kind of like, you know, like, ‘Wow. This could be potentially it right here,’ as far as Final Battle goes and this era, this is it. You know, once my music comes on, this is it so, ‘I think I’m gonna really enjoy this one and dance on the barricade and stuff’ and I did,” Vincent said. “But it was, you know — it was bittersweet man and the first-ever Ring of Honor Six-Man Tag Team Champion and then the last ever for this era is just kind of a cool thing and I’m really — and I’ll kind of let this cat out of the bag. It doesn’t really matter now but it was supposed to be me versus Jay Lethal at Final Battle and that’s kind of where that was headed.

“You know, unfortunately with everything happening, you know, it didn’t really go that way which is, you know, I think Lethal and (Jonathan) Gresham for the world title was very — made the most sense and I thought that was a good move as far as I’m concerned but, doing the six-man thing with — I really liked it because now it’s almost like when I did it with The Kingdom, it was like (Matt) Taven at the forefront and then me and TK (O’Ryan) and this time it was me with my crew now winning the Six-Man Tag Titles. It was just kind of like a cool full-circle kind of thing but like, now, Dutch and Bateman being able to hold these things for the first time ever for those guys, it was kind of a cool thing for me, you know what I mean? Because they’re my buddies and you know, it was cool, it was great.”

Vincent continued on, revealing that the story was originally planned to have Lethal join the Righteous, and a promo for the angle was shot but never ended up airing.

Vincent explained:

“Yeah (story with Jay Lethal was leading to him joining The Righteous) and it’s a bummer man because I really — I put some thought into that and we did the purity, the white (clothing) and stuff and it was kind of — it was gonna be really fun. There was actually a promo that we did that actually never saw the light of day that’s still out there. Maybe I could eventually get it and just put it up there for fun or something as a memory.

“But, it was good man and that was the promo that I felt like, ‘Oh, this is gonna be fun. This has something to it. This is different,’ you know what I mean? It was just different and I was looking forward to it but you know, who knows? You know what I mean? Maybe eventually down the road, you never know. Like I said, wrestling’s crazy like that.”

Lethal, along with the rest of the ROH roster, was released from his contract in late October 2021 when ROH announced it was to go on hiatus. Lethal ended up signing with All Elite Wrestling and making his debut at the Full Gear pay-per-view on November 13.

transcription via POST Wrestling

To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!

3 years ago by Connel Rumsey

@connel1405

Trending

Get the latest wrestling news straight to your inbox

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from WrestleTalk