We now have insight as to what WWE originally had planned for SmackDown Women’s Champion Bayley and Sasha Banks at WrestleMania 36.
It was announced on this past Friday’s episode of SmackDown that Bayley will defend her title against Banks, Tamina, Naomi, Lacey Evans and Dana Brooke in a six-way at the ‘Show of Shows’.
According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer, the initial plan was for a one-on-one match between the former Women’s Tag Team Champions.
“They just said, ‘Are we going to do a match with four weeks and no build!?’ They kind of got it pushed back where they’ll get the six-way now and that’ll be the start [of their program] and then the singles match later when it’s not so rushed.”
If we cast our minds back all the way to WrestleMania 34 two years ago, WWE actually planned for and built towards a Bayley vs. Banks match, but it got axed due to the show already having so many matches and they were both instead plonked in a pre-show battle royal.
Last year, they were unsuccessful in defending the Women’s Tag Team Championship, losing in a four-way to the IIconics which also included Tamina & Nia Jax, and Natalya & Beth Phoenix.
Thanks to WrestleZone for the quote
- Seth Rollins Issues Apology To AEW Star
- Injured AEW Star ‘Close’ To Returning
- What Bandido Was Wearing On AEW Dynamite Explained
- Big Forbidden Door 2023 Teases On AEW Dynamite?
- Tony Khan Provides Latest On Potential AEW Streaming Deal
- CM Punk Responds To AEW Return Announcement
- Top WWE Raw Star Advertised For June 2 SmackDown Show
- Major Athlete Set For Appearance At WWE SummerSlam?
- CM Punk AEW Return Date Announced By Tony Khan
- New Theme Song For Top AEW Star