Randy Orton and Edge had their Last Man Standing match last night at WrestleMania. Amidst the violence was one spot that was in particularly bad taste. It has now been reported that Orton attempted to hang Edge with gym equipment has offended people in WWE.
Dave Meltzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that people in WWE found the spot to be too reminiscent of Chris Benoit’s suicide. Benoit has been in the public eye as of late as the Dark Side of the Ring documentary shed more light on his disturbing death.
Dude, I could have done without Orton trying to hang him with a piece of weight equipment. Christ.
— Bryan Alvarez (@bryanalvarez) April 6, 2020
During the match, Orton hooked Edge’s arm and head through a piece of gym equipment. The move drew criticism from those outside WWE as well. For those unaware, Benoit committed suicide by hanging himself with his home gym equipment.
Edge went on to defeat Orton in the Last Man Standing match with the con-chair-to. The con-chair-to had been a key point of their storyline as Orton had hit the move the night after Edge’s return at the Royal Rumble.
Given WWE will have a hard time filming new content in the near future, this will likely be the end of their storyline.
What did you think of the Randy Orton vs. Edge match? Let us know on Twitter!
- AEW Rampage Spoilers For August 12
- Kota Ibushi Teases AEW Run & Reunion With Kenny Omega
- Tony Khan Addresses Rumors About AEW Backstage Unhappiness
- Tony Khan Provides Clarification On Huge Rumored Change To AEW Pay-Per-Views
- Amari Miller Deletes Twitter After Controversial Sasha Banks Comment Causes Huge Backlash
- CM Punk Returns On AEW Dynamite Quake By The Lake
- Freddie Prinze Jr Wanted Karrion Kross As His First Champion
- AEW Trios Championship Tournament Bracket Revealed
- Miro Argues WWE Schedule Is ‘Too Much’
- Britt Baker Fuels Speculation About MJF With Recent Instagram Post