WWE star Randy Orton’s reaction to the company banning his Punt Kick has now been revealed.
Many fans are aware that Orton had been banned from using his signature punt in 2012, with the Viper occasionally teasing the move in big matches since.
Per former WWE writer Matt McCarthy on The Universal Wrestling Podcast, WWE didn’t even want Orton working the move, for how it looked to kick someone in the head in such a manner.
Noting that Orton initially questioned the ban, McCarthy said:
“The feeling was if he does it as a shoot, he’s kicking someone full-blast in the head and we can’t do that. If he works it, it looks awful and we can’t do that. So now Randy doesn’t get to do his punt kick at all. And for months after this, any time you brought any creative to The Apex Predator, he would look at it and go, ‘So we can do this but I can’t do my punt kick?’
“I remember that time specifically (during his feud with Kane) he’s laying on the floor reading the script and I’m just squatted down. He goes, ‘So he can talk about killing my dad but I can’t use my punt kick?’ I looked at him, I go, ‘Randy, I have no answers for you, okay? This is what we’re doing tonight.’”
Orton & Riddle recently lost their Raw Tag Team Championship, defeated by SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos in a title unification bout on SmackDown last week.
Stay up to date with every WWE title change of 2022 using our tracker right here.
Transcription via Sportskeeda.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- Possible Spoiler On A New Title Belt To Be Introduced On June 2 WWE SmackDown
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- WWE Beats Jesus, Donald Trump & More For Incredible World Record
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon