Raquel Rodriguez (fka Raquel Gonzalez) has revealed how exactly her WWE name change came to be.
Raquel officially joined the SmackDown roster on the April 8 episode, debuting her new ring name.
Speaking on the Bleav in Pro Wrestling podcast, Raquel described the change as a simple switch.
Joking that she and Rhea Ripley should now form a tag team, Raquel said:
“They just basically said, ‘Hey, you’re getting a name change and this is it.’ I was like, ‘Cool, that’s fine.’ I really had no big arguments with it at all. It was just a simple little switch.
“It’s funny, I was just joking with Rhea (Ripley) last Friday because she was actually at SmackDown, and her initials are R-R, Rhea Ripley, and we’ve always joked about being a tag team, and we had our feud NXT.
“Well, now my initials are R-R, Raquel Rodriguez. So it kind of just feels like it was meant to be, so I’m okay with it. We’re starting to think of new tag names.”
Vince McMahon reportedly issued a memo noting that, bar a select few, he doesn’t want WWE stars using their real names, or ring names they had before joining WWE. Raquel’s real name is Victoria Gonzalez, explaining the change.
Raquel last wrestled on the April 5 edition of NXT, losing the NXT Women’s Tag Team Championship to Toxic Attraction.
Stay up to date with every title change in WWE of 2022 using our tracker right here.
Quote via Fightful.
- WWE Ends 36-Year Tradition
- Major Bryan Danielson Update Following AEW Collision Injury Scare
- WWE Star Ruled Out For 8-12 Months With Legitimate Injury
- 14 New WWE Signings Confirmed
- Popular AEW Star Nearing Return After Over A Year Away?
- AEW Star Returns After Eight Months Off TV
- Rhea Ripley & Other Stars React To Incredible Moment At WWE Event
- AEW Champion Attacked Backstage, Unable To Compete
- Potential New Member Of Christian Cage’s AEW Faction Revealed?
- Video Footage Of Brock Lesnar’s Daughter Shattering Records For Shot Put