Raquel Rodriguez (fka Raquel Gonzalez) has revealed how exactly her WWE name change came to be.
Raquel officially joined the SmackDown roster on the April 8 episode, debuting her new ring name.
Speaking on the Bleav in Pro Wrestling podcast, Raquel described the change as a simple switch.
Joking that she and Rhea Ripley should now form a tag team, Raquel said:
“They just basically said, ‘Hey, you’re getting a name change and this is it.’ I was like, ‘Cool, that’s fine.’ I really had no big arguments with it at all. It was just a simple little switch.
“It’s funny, I was just joking with Rhea (Ripley) last Friday because she was actually at SmackDown, and her initials are R-R, Rhea Ripley, and we’ve always joked about being a tag team, and we had our feud NXT.
“Well, now my initials are R-R, Raquel Rodriguez. So it kind of just feels like it was meant to be, so I’m okay with it. We’re starting to think of new tag names.”
Vince McMahon reportedly issued a memo noting that, bar a select few, he doesn’t want WWE stars using their real names, or ring names they had before joining WWE. Raquel’s real name is Victoria Gonzalez, explaining the change.
Raquel last wrestled on the April 5 edition of NXT, losing the NXT Women’s Tag Team Championship to Toxic Attraction.
Stay up to date with every title change in WWE of 2022 using our tracker right here.
Quote via Fightful.
- Karrion Kross’ Status For WWE Clash At The Castle Main Event Revealed
- Big Name Fired By WWE, Triple H Re-Signs Another Released Star, Logan Paul Backstage Heat – News Bulletin – August 9, 2022
- Dexter Lumis Returns On WWE Raw
- Fans Are Confused By Nikki A.S.H & Doudrop’s Car During WWE Raw Segment
- Several Johnny Gargano References Made On WWE Raw
- Kevin Owens Brings Back His Vicious Side At The Expense Of Ezekiel
- Hilarious Video Of Tony Khan At Sammy Guevara & Tay Conti’s Wedding
- WWE 2K23 Officially Confirmed, Release Date Window Revealed?
- AEW Star Malakai Black Reveals He Recently Survived Career-Threatening Injury
- WWE Star Calls Out Logan Paul For Not Following Backstage Etiquette