A big Intercontinental Championship match is set to take place on tonight’s WWE Raw (September 4) show, when GUNTHER defends the title against Chad Gable.
The match will serve as the final hurdle before GUNTHER breaks the Honky Tonk Man’s record as the longest reigning Intercontinental Champion in WWE history.
Many believed that the match was set to take place at Payback this past Saturday, but it was instead announced for tonight’s Raw show, and we now know the reasons behind that.
Per Fightful Select (subscription required), the match taking place on Raw served as a way to keep the Payback runtime in order, as WWE has been very particular over the last year of making sure the premium live events don’t ‘overstay their welcome’, especially those that aren’t larger stadium shows.
This has led to many matches that would’ve previously been on premium live events to end up on episodes of Raw or SmackDown.
Another reason for the match taking place on Raw was in order to highlight the match more than it would have been on the Payback event, as well as to get GUNTHER closer to the record with the threat of breaking it.
Think you know the most about wrestling? Join our Wrestle League predictions competition for free, and be in with the chance of winning $250 of Amazon vouchers. Make sure you subscribe to email notifications to make sure you never miss a show.
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- WWE Name Claims Dolph Ziggler ‘Didn’t Change With The Times’ Before Being Released
- Christian Cage Wins TNT Championship On AEW Collision & First Defense Revealed
- Update On WWE Star Missing From SmackDown
- Anoa’i Family Member Pitches Two New Members Of The Bloodline
- Top Dolla Addresses WWE Future Of Hit Row Teammates After His Release
- AEW’s Saraya Says Ring Gear Collection Has Gone Missing
- Current WWE Name Thinks One Released Star May ‘Find His Way Back’ To WWE
- WWE Star Thanks The Wyatt Family For Inspiring Them To Get Into Wrestling