There had reportedly been some concern backstage within WWE over the possibility of more mass releases this week.
In recent years, there has been an annual round of cuts that occurs following WrestleMania in April.
April 15 is the specific date that releases have happened in the past, which was this Friday. Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful confirmed that a number of WWE talents were concerned about ‘WWE release day’, tweeting:
“I know a lot of people have been concerned about ‘WWE release day’ today, including much of the talent. At least one higher up told me that they didn’t know of any releases set to happen today, if you’d like to take their word for it.”
‘WWE release day’ has now passed with no reported departures, as of writing.
WWE let over 80 in-ring performers go in 2021, also holding notable mass releases in June and November. You can read the full list of 2021 departures at this link.
There have been 10 on-screen names let go in 2022 so far, which you can read more about right here.
I know a lot of people have been concerned about "WWE release day" today, including much of the talent.
At least one higher up told me that they didn't know of any releases set to happen today, if you'd like to take their word for it.
— Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful.com (@SeanRossSapp) April 15, 2022
- ‘A Lot Of Concern’ Over Randy Orton Injury
- Report: Bandido Offered AEW Contract Following September 28 Dynamite
- AEW Facing ‘Brutal’ Live Show Ticket Sales
- Several WWE Stars Missing SmackDown Due To Hurricane Ian
- Antonio Inoki Passes Away Aged 79
- Brock Lesnar WWE Return Date Revealed?
- Young Bucks & Kenny Omega ‘Haven’t Heard Anything’ About AEW Return
- VICE TV Vince McMahon Documentary To Cover WWE Departure
- Rush Officially Signs With AEW
- Seth Rollins Discusses Current Relationship With Jon Moxley & Roman Reigns