Many fans are hoping that Raw star Drew McIntyre has a lengthy reign with the WWE Championship, however, a recent report suggests that this might not be happening.
WrestleTalk exclusively reported that the current likely SummerSlam plan is for Randy Orton to feud with Drew McIntyre for the title, and an idea was reportedly pitched to have Orton win the match.
According to WrestlingNews.co, an idea was recently pitched to have Randy Orton win the WWE Championship against Drew McIntyre, and then feud with Edge when he returns from his injury, at either Royal Rumble or WrestleMania:
“An idea was pitched to have Orton win the title and then defend against Edge at the Royal Rumble or WrestleMania and McIntyre could win the title again at a later date to get his true crowning moment with fans in attendance.”
This is not believed to be a knock on Drew McIntyre, WWE reportedly just wants to give him a “true crowning moment” when fans are allowed back into arenas for shows.
There is no word on if this is something WWE is considering, or just an idea that was pitched backstage.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think Randy vs. Edge III needs the title, but Drew could do with a big win over a top heel, so I wouldn’t have Orton beat McIntyre anytime soon.
- AEW’s Miro Seemingly Agrees He ‘Had It Better’ In WWE
- FTR Announced For AEW Dynamite: Quake By The Lake
- Finn Balor Vs Rey Mysterio Added To August 8 WWE Raw
- WWE Star Angel Teases Return To Old Ring Name
- Latest On Lacey Evans WWE Status After SmackDown Absence
- Latest On AEW Stars Missing From ‘AEW: Fight Forever’ Roster
- NXT Star Tatum Paxley Injured At House Show
- X-Pac Believes Logan Paul Could Be WWE Champion Material
- Danhausen Shares Photo With Sasha Banks From Recent Public Appearance
- Several WWE Talents Have Had ‘Direct Meetings’ With Triple H Regarding Creative