It is being reported that John Cena is indeed set to compete at WrestleMania 36, and his planned opponent has been revealed.
WWE confirmed earlier this week that Cena will make his TV return on the February 28 episode of SmackDown, which is the day after the Super ShowDown event in Saudi Arabia.
Speaking on Wrestling Observer Radio about Cena’s planned opponent, Meltzer first said:
“It’s not like I don’t believe it because I know it’s probably true, but I can’t believe it, put it that way. It’s so underwhelming it’s ridiculous, and absolutely confusing and makes no sense.”
His co-host Bryan Alvarez said that from that description it sounded like either King Corbin or Elias, and Meltzer then confirmed the listed match currently is Cena vs. Elias.
This actually calls back to WrestleMania 35 last year when Cena returned in his ‘Dr.of Thuganomics’ persona to cut short Elias’ concert.
They’ve also had other segments with each other in the past, so although on face value it might seem a little bit random, there is actually some backstory behind it.
Elias actually holds a win over Cena which came in a three-way match on February 5, 2018 that also featured Braun Strowman.
Cena’s latest match in WWE came on the January 14, 2019 episode of Raw where he teamed with Finn Bálor and Seth Rollins to beat Bobby Lashley, Dean Ambrose and Drew McIntyre in a six-man tag match.
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Possible Spoiler On A New Title Belt To Be Introduced On June 2 WWE SmackDown
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Date For Major WWE International Show Revealed?