According to Tom Colohue of Sportskeeda, Vince McMahon was completely against the idea of introducing women’s tag team championships, possibly explaining why the belts have been booked so badly.
Sasha Banks and Bayley were the first champions, winning the belts in an elimination chamber match. They went on to lose the titles at WrestleMania 35 to the IIconics, and the belts have since become a bit of a joke.
According to Colohue, his source said:
“Vince didn’t want women’s tag titles. He was under a lot of pressure so he brought them in early without thinking much about it. There was no plan. We still don’t know if there’s any plan.”
Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross won the titles on this past week’s episode of Raw, but there has been nothing to suggest that the belts are going to receive any kind of push going forward.
“One source suggested this was to ‘appease Banks’ whereas another just cited ‘horrible timing’ for their lack of use thus far,” added Colohue.
Either way, it’s probably safest to assume that the belts will once again fall into obscurity, and will likely do so for as long as Vince McMahon is around, which at last estimation, is forever.
- Former WWE Star To Return On The Raw After WrestleMania?
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- Report: WWE Having ‘Larger Conversation’ About Wrestler Safety
- Update On Dominik Mysterio Vs. Rey Mysterio WrestleMania Plans
- WWE Star Pulled From Raw, WrestleMania Status Uncertain?
- Yet Another Star Pulled From WWE Raw
- Bray Wyatt & Bobby Lashley WWE Raw Update
- WWE Star Vents Anger At Fans After Being ‘Followed’ At Airport
- AEW World Champion MJF Set For Surprising Indie Appearance
- Spoiler On WWE Star Set To ‘Shine’ On March 20 Raw