So it seems as though all the CM Punk chants we’ve endured over the past seven years may finally be leading to his return, but unfortunately for fans of his time in WWE, it won’t be in Vince McMahon’s company.
Fightful Select reported earlier this week that Punk is interested in a return to the ring, and that the most likely destination is AEW. This was then backed up by Dave Meltzer and others, who corroborated that talks are ongoing.
In addition, Meltzer has revealed in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that the belief internally in WWE is that Punk will indeed be joining AEW in the near future.
“With Punk, a WWE source has said that internally the belief is that Punk has signed with AEW. There are a number of things going on behind-the-scenes that would indicate that, but nobody in AEW has confirmed it, and of course, they won’t until the decision is made for them to go public with something of that magnitude.”
As Meltzer noted, it is highly unlikely that AEW will announce the signing of Punk ahead of time, and while many fans expect him to show up at AEW All Out on September 5, there has been no confirmation of this.
Meltzer also added that as far as he knows, WWE is not currently interested in Punk.
It must be stressed that there is no indication that Punk has actually signed a contract as of writing, but AEW will likely be doing everything in their power to keep this as under wraps as humanly possible.
- Another Huge Update On Edge’s WWE Future
- Video Footage From Matt Riddle JFK Airport Incident
- WWE Airs Hype Video For Jade Cargill On SmackDown
- MJF Shares Honest Thoughts On CM Punk Real AEW World Title
- High Praise For Released WWE Star Within AEW
- WWE Hall Of Famer Confirms Wrestling Return, Names Potential AEW Opponents
- WWE NXT No Mercy Main Event Revealed
- LA Knight Teaming With John Cena & More Additions To WWE Fastlane 2023
- NXT Star Appears On SmackDown, Teases Main Roster Match
- AEW WrestleDream Main Event Revealed