According to Casey Michael of Squared Circle Sirens, WWE is very keen on bringing in some new referees, and specifically female ones.
Referee Aubrey Edwards made history on Saturday (August 31) by refereeing in the AEW World Championship match between Chris Jericho and Hangman Page at All Out.
WWE currently has 21 referees, and just one, Jessika Carr, is female. Carr mainly referees on NXT, but has officiated over the odd main roster match in her career.
According to Michael, there is a tryout in the near future, but he is unsure as to whether it is just for referees, or whether there is simply a focus on getting in new female referees.
Unsure if the next WWE tryout is an all performance type thing or just for referees. WWE is actively looking for new referees, specifically female ones.
— Casey Michael (@ifyouseekcasey) August 22, 2019
There is a general shortage of referees in world wrestling, probably because it’s far more complicated than it looks.
A referee’s number one role is to ensure the safety of the wrestlers, and everything else comes after that. Being able to count a pin, ask for a submission and be hurt for ridiculous amounts of time is secondary.
- WWE Announces Change To Money In The Bank Location
- Another AEW Double Or Nothing Match To Be Added?
- MJF Says ‘F**k This Place’ In Response To Tony Khan’s Comments About Him
- Full Audio: Pre-AEW Double Or Nothing Media Call With Tony Khan
- Happy Corbin Welcomes Tyler Breeze Back At SmackDown Taping (Video)
- Tony Khan Addresses MJF Mentioning AEW Contract Issues On TV
- CM Punk Mocks WWE With Their Own History After Changing MITB Location
- Several Huge Stars Removed From WWE Money In The Bank Advertising?
- Which Stars WWE Meant When Claiming Sasha Banks & Naomi Didn’t Want To Work With Them
- Backstage Heat With CM Punk Leads To Colt Cabana Missing AEW Shows?