SmackDown Women’s Champion Rhea Ripley has explained why she was so emotional backstage at WrestleMania 39 Saturday.
During the April 1 event, Ripley defeated Charlotte Flair to win the SmackDown Women’s Title.
Speaking with Ariel Helwani for BT Sport, Ripley noted that she was very emotional backstage ahead of her match, thinking about Dominik Mysterio as well as her own career progression.
Explaining why she didn’t watch Dominik Mysterio face Rey Mysterio, Ripley said:
“I got really emotional here at WrestleMania before I put all my makeup on for it to be switched off.
“I got really emotional, I cried I want to say like, six-plus times, not only for myself but for Dominik Mysterio as well. Just seeing his growth.
“He gets to go out there with his dad after Rey got inducted into the Hall of Fame. It’s a big night for all of us.”
“I didn’t get to watch Dom-Dom’s match. Otherwise, I probably would have tried to go out there to save him.
“I was too busy in my own head trying to get myself prepared for this massive match that I knew I was going to have with Charlotte. So, I’ll get my payback.”
The final match order for WrestleMania 39 Sunday has now been revealed.
Transcription via Fightful.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Scrapped Plans For Rhea Ripley At WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- First Look At Owen Hart In AEW: Fight Forever Revealed
- VIDEO: Former Champion Trains At D-Von Dudley Wrestling Academy
- Lita Makes Surprise Return Following WWE Injury Angle (Video)
- Cody Rhodes June 5 WWE Raw Plans Revealed
- Roman Reigns Shares First Comment Since Dramatic WWE SmackDown Ending
- AEW Teasing Popular Name’s In-Ring Debut?
- WWE Faction To Add New Members Soon?
- WWE Stars Announce Engagement (Photos)
- WWE Star Addresses Wrestling Future & Potential Retirement Plans