Liv Morgan is the WWE SmackDown Women’s Champion, and many people are thrilled. Finally WWE listened to our chants and they made someone champion because it’s what the fans wanted.
Oh wait, it was because Sasha Banks and Naomi walked out.
According to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, a key reason behind Liv Morgan receiving the push she’s been given is WWE deciding they needed a new top female babyface on SmackDown after Banks and Naomi walked out.
Dave Meltzer wrote:
Part of the reason, if not the key reason, for the recent push of Morgan was he walking out of Banks and Naomi. When they left, the idea was that Smackdown needed a new top tier woman babyface and Morgan was the one who got the pick of the draw. It’s also worked out because the fan base was ready for her.
While we still haven’t had confirmation the two women have been released by WWE, Sasha Banks has been taking non-WWE bookings, and Naomi has made several hints at no longer being signed by WWE.
Banks is only taking non-wrestling bookings until the start of 2023 – it’s unclear whether that’s just her personal choice, or some kind of contractual agreement.
Both have been take off the internal roster, but remain on the public roster, so it’s still very confusing.
Promoters have also suggested Banks would not have been booked for non-WWE appearances in the manner that she has if she hadn’t already been released.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- ‘Free Agent’ WWE Star Set For First NXT Match In Seven Years
- Seth Rollins Teases “Forbidden Door” Dream Match With Top Star?
- WWE Announces Partnership With Twitch To ‘Sidecast’ Raw & More
- AEW Star Compares Orange Cassidy To WWE’s Legendary Undertaker
- Report: Date For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar III Confirmed
- Spoiler On Popular AEW Name Announced For New ROH Board Of Directors
- AEW Star Says He’s Been Dealing With Torn Triceps, But Now He’s Back
- Report: WWE Hall Of Famer ‘Adamantly’ Rejected Involvement In Current Star’s Storyline
- WWE Faction To Receive New Name
- WWE Star’s First Match In Nine Months Announced