Sasha Banks has opened up about requesting her WWE release in 2019, explaining why she wanted to leave the company at the time.
Earlier this year on Stone Cold’s Broken Skull Sessions podcast, Banks revealed that during her absence from WWE following WrestleMania 35, she asked to be let go, but Vince McMahon gave her 30 days to think about the decision.
Speaking with Ariel Helwani for BT Sport, Banks explained that she always wants to be viewed as the #1 performer. Noting that she appreciated McMahon’s compassion, Banks said:
“I felt like I was simply not giving my highest good. If I am not giving my highest good, if I am unable to the best, if I am not used as the best then I really have to go find that. I am always that performer of wanting to be No. 1 and I felt in my heart that I was not feeling just good.
“I felt that I did all that I could and I needed that break. I needed that release and Vince told me, ‘No’. That was a great decision on both ends. He knew what he saw and he is so intelligent, he is so kind and gentle. He actually knew what I needed, which was ‘time’, at the end of the point all of want a little bit of time.”
On Friday’s episode of SmackDown, Banks defeated Shotzi in singles action. Both are set to represent SmackDown tonight in the 5 on 5 elimination tag-team match at Survivor Series.
Quote via RingsideNews.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Carmella & Corey Graves Reveal The Sex Of Their First Child
- Seth Rollins Issues Apology To AEW Star
- Injured AEW Star ‘Close’ To Returning
- Major Star Says He Could ‘100% Make Magic’ With WWE’s Seth Rollins
- Blackpool Combat Club Match Announced For May 31 AEW Dynamite
- What Bandido Was Wearing On AEW Dynamite Explained
- Big Forbidden Door 2023 Teases On AEW Dynamite?
- VIDEOS: New AEW Fight Forever Character Spotlight Gameplay Clips
- Bryan Danielson Shares Warning For Retired Star Amid In-Ring Return Rumors
- Tony Khan Provides Latest On Potential AEW Streaming Deal