AEW star Powerhouse Hobbs has revealed the scrapped name that they had in mind for his character when he first came to the company.
Speaking with Lars Frederiksen and Dennis Farrell on Wrestling Perspective Podcast, Hobbs explained the idea behind his name from Tony Khan.
“Originally when I first came into AEW, I did enhancement work, and I was Will Power … Tony [Khan] came up to me, he’s like, ‘You’re such a powerhouse, we’re gonna call you Powerhouse Hobbs.’ And he actually said he was thinking of one-word names, and one of the first names that he said was ‘Hacksaw.’ And then he’s like, ‘No, you’re a powerhouse!’ So we’ve been rolling with that ever since. I’ve mentioned to Tony a few times that if the opportunity comes up to become Hacksaw, that’s something possibly that can happen.”
The Team Taz member also revealed some inspiring words he received from one of his childhood favorites Butch Reed before his passing in February 2021.
“I was dropping my son Bam Bam off at pre-school one morning. We’re at a red light, and I get this Instagram tag, you know, Butch Reed has an Instagram, and he tagged one of my first shirts on it and said ‘This is the new PowerHouse.’ I geeked out over it so much.
I sent a message to him and then he replied back to the message, and we exchanged phone numbers but we actually never got the chance to speak. We only chatted through Instagram messaging. I was told by him that he was a huge fan, and that was an honor to me because I had the old WCW Galoob Doom figures, so that meant the world to me … I actually found out he passed away when I was in the Dallas airport. His son sent me a heartfelt message, you know, his dad was unable to speak, but when he saw me and my in-ring work, he smiled.
That’s something that I will always hold dear to my heart, and if I ever have the opportunity to carry on the Hacksaw name, I’ll do that 100%. That’s one of my goals.”
Powerhouse Hobbs will team up with Ricky Starks to face Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus as well as Swerve Strickland and Keith Lee in a three-way match for the AEW World Tag Team Titles at this Sunday’s Double Or Nothing pay-per-view.
For more information on the event, click here.
Quotes via Wrestling Inc.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Hall Of Famer The Iron Sheik Passes Away Aged 81
- Top NXT Star To Challenge Seth Rollins For WWE World Heavyweight Championship
- New Name For WWE Faction Revealed
- Major Change To Seth Rollins’ Upcoming Marvel Movie
- VIDEO: Solo Sikoa Has Hilarious Exchange With Young Fan At WWE Live Event
- Another Championship Match Announced For June 7 AEW Dynamite
- Top Star Wants ‘Correct Amount Of Money’ For CM Punk Forbidden Door Match
- Solo Sikoa Hints At Jey Uso’s Potential Bloodline Future
- WWE Posts Statement On The Passing Of The Iron Sheik
- VIDEO: Shawn Michaels Congratulates NXT Star After Big Battle Royal Win