One of the real breakout stars of 2020 for AEW was Ricky Starks, who debuted for the promotion by answering Cody Rhodes’ TNT Championship open challenge on the June 11th episode of Dynamite.
Prior to joining AEW, Ricky Starks worked as part of the NWA brand and even held the NWA World Television Championship, and we now know some of the plans that NWA had for Starks last year.
In an interview with Fightful, former NWA star Zicky Dice opened up about his close relationship with Starks and said that there were plans to have the pair team up in the Crockett Cup last year:
“Ricky won’t tell you this, but that’s one of my best dudes right there. I talk to Ricky daily. I mentioned before, if the NWA gave me one thing, it’s amazing friendships with Marti Belle and Ricky Starks. We’ve spent a lot of time on the house party app over quarantine, hanging out daily. Ricky’s a megastar, dude. I knew that right off the bat. I was thinking the other day, someone had posted a picture where the Crockett Cup was supposed to be. Fun fact, myself and Ricky were supposed to win that battle royal to tag together at the Crockett Cup. Yeah, I would have been curious to see what would have happened from that. We were both supposed to win the battle royal, the last two standing. We were supposed to tag at the Crockett Cup and that was supposed to be myself and Ricky Starks”
Ricky Starks is currently part of the Team Tazz faction alongside FTW Champion Brian Cage and Powerhouse Hobbs. He will be in action this week on AEW Dark against Mike Verna.
- WWE Leadership ‘Questioned’ Internally For Not Signing Major Free Agent
- WWE Name Released By The Company
- Major WWE Star Confirmed To Be ‘Free Agent’
- More WWE Departures Confirmed
- Identities Of Several WWE Departures Confirmed
- Bryan Danielson Discusses CM Punk’s AEW Departure & WWE Return
- Absent WWE Stars Expected At SmackDown
- Another Tease For Major WWE Signing?
- CM Punk Next WWE Appearance Date Announced
- AEW Star Says Last Few Months Of Creative Have Been ‘Frustrating’