Seth Rollins has discussed the way AEW wrestlers mention WWE on TV, arguing that it looks and reeks of desperation.
One of the biggest criticisms that some fans have of AEW is that the promotion references WWE too much.
Speaking on the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast, Rollins compared these references to him mentioning AEW’s Jon Moxley during his feud with Roman Reigns, arguing that Mox was an integral part of their story.
Noting that he’s happy for AEW when they’re doing their own thing, Rollins said:
“To me, it’s one of those things where, if it’s very useful, it’s fine. The references you spoke of (Rollins mentioning Moxley, CM Punk mentioning WWE) are two kind of different things.
“I didn’t use the reference to Mox to talk down to somebody. I wasn’t trying to diminish anyone’s accomplishments. It wasn’t like that. He’s part of our story, Roman wouldn’t be the same if it wasn’t for Mox and I. The other side of that coin is the way that it can be used by those guys. They can do whatever they want.
“I find it very tacky and low-brow, personally. I think it looks and reeks of desperation. I don’t think it’s anything on our television show that we need to go there and talk down about those guys. They are doing their thing, they’re doing it very well, we’re very happy for them. I am, at least personally.
“Are they on our level? No. They have a long way to go to catch up to us. That’s fine and they know that. They do things differently. From my perspective, it’s a step down for us to use it as an insult. That’s my perspective. People may not share that opinion.”
WWE has announced that Rollins will face a mystery opponent at WrestleMania 38. Multiple reports have noted that Rollins’ opponent will be former AEW EVP Cody Rhodes.
Check out the full cards for WrestleMania Saturday (April 2) here, and WrestleMania Sunday (April 3) here.
Transcription via Fightful.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Asuka Shares Expletive-Filled Translation Of Recent Promo Battle With IYO SKY
- Former WWE Star Says They’re Not Retired
- Rhea Ripley Weighs In On Major WrestleMania 39 Debate
- Seth Rollins Teases “Forbidden Door” Dream Match With Top Star?
- Seth Rollins ‘First Title Defense’ Of WWE World Heavyweight Championship Already Happened
- ‘Free Agent’ WWE Star Set For First NXT Match In Seven Years
- Major AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door Dream Match Set
- Popular AEW Star Announced For G1 Climax
- Popular Wrestling Database Site Announces Changes Due To AEW, WWE Fan Tribalism
- Top WWE Star’s Hilarious Response To Ronda Rousey ‘Demanding’ Rumours