According to reports from wwe.com, Shane McMahon is currently recovering from an acute diverticulitis and an umbilical hernia in a New York medical facility.
It is believed that his condition developed due to a massive infection while he was on vacation with his family in the Caribbean, where he was subsequently hospitalized for several days in Antigua before being flown back to the United States for further treatment.
Further to the initial condition, WWE report that: “Doctors in New York have also discovered that Shane suffered an umbilical hernia during the attack, which will require surgery once the infection has been eradicated.”
The attack referred to here was the beating he received from Owens and Zayn following his announcement that he would be standing down from his role as commissioner of SmackDown. It is unclear to what extent reality and kayfabe are blurred here, but as pointed out on twitter by WrestleVotes when the story broke:
That Shane McMahon story is on https://t.co/iX03c7TZCx. No idea at this point if it’s storyline or not, however the medical conditions listed in the release isn’t something connected to any “attack”. Diverticulitis is what Lesnar suffered from in real life a few years back.
— WrestleVotes (@WrestleVotes) March 26, 2018
In the case of Brock Lesnar, who also suffered from diverticulitis during his UFC run in 2009, the condition had been left untreated for an unhealthy amount of time and had put him in a life-threatening situation.
The cause of the condition can vary from person to person, but in the case of both Mixed Martial Arts and Wrestling it can often be due to the regular use of painkillers such as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
The condition itself is very painful and can have long lasting implications, as Brock described it himself in his book ‘Death Clutch’: “I have a high threshold for pain, higher than most guys, and I couldn’t deal with it.
“It felt like I had taken a shotgun blast to the stomach, and then someone poured in some salt and Tabasco and stirred it all up with a nasty pitchfork.”
With many people assuming the returning Daniel Bryan would tag with McMahon at WrestleMania, plans may be up in the air given how these events are unfolding.
We will look to update you as more news comes in on his condition.
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes & More Announced For NXT Airing Against Edge’s AEW Debut Match
- Trick Williams Breaks Silence After Title Loss To Dominik Mysterio
- Update On Becky Lynch WWE Status
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Reveals WWE Backstage Reaction To AEW Switch
- Rhea Ripley Reacts To Dominik Mysterio Winning Back The NXT North American Championship
- Two AEW Stars Expected To Take Time Off
- Recent WWE Surprise Was A ‘Late Creative Decision’
- John Cena Opens Up On Relationship With The Rock Following SmackDown Interaction
- VIDEO: Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) Immediate Backstage Reaction To AEW Debut
- SmackDown Star Shares Cryptic Message Amid WWE Absence