The end of NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III in 2017 saw new NXT Champion Drew McIntyre attacked by Bobby Fish, Kyle O’Reilly and the debuting Adam Cole. At the time, people thought this was a set up for the next big NXT feud.
However, Drew McIntyre and Adam Cole never went one-on-one on NXT TV, with their only match taking place at a house show, and it seems like we now know why that feud never happened.
Speaking with Lucha Libre Online, Andrade revealed that he was only made to beat Drew McIntyre for the NXT Championship in 2017 because WWE didn’t like that Drew McIntyre was significantly taller than Adam Cole.
The interview was conducted in Spanish, but below is a translation of what Andrade had to say:
“That NXT championship was never for me. The fight was Adam Cole vs. Drew McIntyre; but they saw the dimensions and Drew looked very big next to Cole ”.
“Ese campeonato de NXT nunca era para mi. La lucha era Adam Cole vs Drew McIntyre; pero vieron las dimensiones y se veía muy grande Drew al lado de Cole”.@AndradeElIdolo
— Lucha Libre Online (@luchalibreonlin) March 30, 2021
Speaking of Andrade and Drew McIntyre, the former United States Champion revealed that Drew McIntyre refused to squash him last year on Raw, which you can read more about by clicking here.
What are your thoughts on the above story? Let us know in the comments on Twitter or Facebook.
- Former WWE Star Offers To Be Bobby Lashley WrestleMania Opponent
- Ronda Rousey Publicly Slams WWE’s Women’s Division Booking
- Top AEW Merch Sellers’ Push Halted?
- LA Knight WrestleMania 39 Status Confirmed?
- Dave Meltzer Responds To Latest CM Punk Controversy
- WWE Star Says He Is Proud Of Bianca Belair Breaking Championship Record
- Former WWE Star Pleased He’s Not In AEW
- WWE ‘Higher Up’ Reveals Real Backstage Reaction To Rise Of Sami Zayn
- Celebrity Waiting For Call To Make WWE Return
- Nature Of Mickie James Injury Revealed