New Japan Pro-Wrestling and World Wonder Ring STARDOM have announced the creation of an official IWGP Women’s Championship.
During Friday’s (July 29) 2022 Strategy Meeting, it was confirmed that the inaugural IWGP Women’s Champion will be crowned during the November 20 NJPW x STARDOM event.
The new title will be defended at NJPW events both in Japan and in the USA. NJPW had previously confirmed that women’s wrestlers from STARDOM would be competing during their US shows moving forward.
STARDOM has confirmed that the IWGP Women’s Championship will not replace or be the promotion’s new top title. Providing a summary on the new gold, the official English STARDOM Twitter account shared the following:
The IWGP Women’s championship is for NJPW events. It’s possible that it could be defended on big Stardom events though.
Stardom’s main title remains the World of Stardom title (the Red Belt) along with the Wonder of Stardom title (the White Belt).
NJPW and STARDOM are both notably owned by Bushiroad. NJPW has an all-men’s roster and STARDOM is a women’s promotion, so talent from the two promotions have rarely crossed over since Bushiroad’s acquisition of STARDOM in 2019.
STARDOM exhibition matches have taken place on recent NJPW cards since the aquisition, with Tam Nakano & Saya Kamitani battling Mayu Iwatani & Starlight Kid at Wrestle Kingdom 16 in January.
You can read more about the upcoming joint event right here.
- Malakai Black Denies Being Granted AEW Release
- AEW Backstage Reaction To Malakai Black & Buddy Matthews Departures Revealed
- Candice LeRae Makes WWE Return On WWE Raw
- Latest White Rabbit Code Links To Mysterious Tik Tok Video
- Report: Tony Khan Not Granting Any AEW Releases
- Major Hint That ‘White Rabbit’ Could Be Malakai Black?
- Big Change To AEW Dynamite Due To Hurricane Ian
- Trish Stratus Teases ‘Secret’ WWE Project
- Dark Side Of The Ring Co-Creator Comments On Future Of The Series
- Update On Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee Being Contacted By WWE