Stone Cold Steve Austin has shared his honest thoughts on the infamous ‘what’ WWE crowd chant which can be heard on most WWE shows nowadays.
Since Austin popularised the chant in 2001, the movement has evolved, with fans often asking ‘what?’ whenever a wrestler pauses during promos.
While it can be fun to see fans get the better of a heel during a segment, many find the chant annoying, and believe it has outstayed its welcome.
Speaking on Insight with Chris Van Vliet, Austin noted that he finds it flattering that the chant is still used.
Addressing criticisms surrounding the chant, Austin said:
“It really does (surprise me), but it’s a testament to how impacted people were to that. You know, that started off as me leaving a voice message on Christian’s phone.
“I was working heel at the time, and I said hey man, this is a really good way to F with people and get on their nerves and under their skin.
“Because if you tell me something I just say What? And I throw it back at you, and it’s irritating, it’s what it was designed to be.
“Then I turned it into something that worked for me as babyface as a way to mock a certain situation. With cadence and delivery, people can escape it as far as talent doing a promo.
“But it’s very, it’s flattering to still see it around, but I have had so many people cussing me out and hating it.
“We ended up putting it on the t-shirt for God’s sake, and it sold a ton.
“So, I am thankful for the word, but if it disappeared tomorrow then I wouldn’t complain. I’m honored that it is still here.”
Austin recently discussed the scrapped plan for a WrestleMania 39 appearance, which you can read more about right here.
Transcription via Fightful.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- AEW Name Reveals Upcoming Contract Expiry, Comments On Potential WWE Move
- Alarming Advice From Surgeons For Top AEW Star
- Carmella & Corey Graves Reveal The Sex Of Their First Child
- Mandy Rose Comments On Gigi Dolin Vs. Jacy Jayne NXT Cage Match After Not Even Being Mentioned
- Injured AEW Star ‘Close’ To Returning
- Bret Hart Calls Current WWE Star One Of The Greatest Wrestlers Of All Time
- Pat McAfee Reacts To Unfortunate AEW Double Or Nothing 2023 Attendance Photo
- Major Star Says He Could ‘100% Make Magic’ With WWE’s Seth Rollins
- Blackpool Combat Club Match Announced For May 31 AEW Dynamite
- VIDEOS: New AEW Fight Forever Character Spotlight Gameplay Clips