In preparation for his intergender tag match alongside real-life wife Maryse, The Miz has spoken out about working with Edge upon his return to WWE television.
Talking to The Ringer Wrestling Show, The Miz discussed his return to WWE after the longest break in action his career has ever seen, four months, as he joined the cast of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars, saying:
“I had no idea what I was going to do to come back to WWE from Dancing with the Stars. Sometimes you’re out for a little bit, and then you have to figure out how to maneuver your way back into a storyline and make people want to see you and get them excited. It came about because Edge was coming back. I was like, ‘Oh, Edge is coming back.’ I never get a good welcome home. It’s always like, ‘Oh, Miz is here. Throw him in a match or something and he’ll make it great.’ or, ‘Put him in a promo segment and he’ll make it great,’
“With Edge, they always give Edge pyro and a welcome homecoming, even if he’s gone for a month. The guy was gone for a month, and literally everyone is going nuts because he’s back. I’m gone for four months, the longest I’ve ever been gone, and I knew if I came back, the fans weren’t going to light the place on fire because they never do whenever I come back. I was like this is the perfect opportunity.”
While The Miz character seems to be motivated by jealousy over the fans constant warm reception of Edge, the program was exciting for Miz the performer, saying:
“There were like three different ideas on who I was going to have a program with on my first return back, when Edge’s name came up, I lit up because we only had one match before.
“We’ve always been on opposite shows, or we were both bad guys, or both good guys. We never had a program, and really never had a singles match except for the one champion versus champion match we had on RAW. We didn’t even work in live events. This was meant to be.
“This was the chance to have Edge vs The Miz and really make it mean something and do something that people will remember and talk about. It’s been great. It’s been a lot of fun. We built up to having Beth come back to where they want to see Beth get at Maryse. Now I think people want to see both Edge and Beth get at Miz and Maryse.”
Miz and Maryse have been battling back and forth for weeks on Raw with Edge and his real-life wife, Beth Phoenix who sees a return to in-ring action after having previously been on the commentary team at NXT.
You can view a complete list of the announced Royal Rumble men’s and women’s entrants here.
Transcription via WrestlingNews.co
- John Cena, Cody Rhodes & More Announced For NXT Airing Against Edge’s AEW Debut Match
- Trick Williams Breaks Silence After Title Loss To Dominik Mysterio
- Update On Becky Lynch WWE Status
- Adam Copeland (Edge) Reveals WWE Backstage Reaction To AEW Switch
- Rhea Ripley Reacts To Dominik Mysterio Winning Back The NXT North American Championship
- Two AEW Stars Expected To Take Time Off
- Recent WWE Surprise Was A ‘Late Creative Decision’
- John Cena Opens Up On Relationship With The Rock Following SmackDown Interaction
- VIDEO: Adam Copeland’s (Edge’s) Immediate Backstage Reaction To AEW Debut
- SmackDown Star Shares Cryptic Message Amid WWE Absence