Fans will have noted that on this past week’s episode of Raw, it was announced that Rusev was no longer a part of the Tuwaiq Trophy gauntlet match at this week’s WWE Super ShowDown in Saudi Arabia.
He was replaced in the line-up by Rey Mysterio, but no reason was given for Rusev suddenly being pulled from the match.
Initial speculation was that contract talks between Rusev and WWE may have taken a turn for the worse, and while that still might be the case, the latest report is that Rusev pulled himself from the match at the last minute.
Speaking on Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer explained that Rusev had pulled himself at the last minute, which is why the graphic on Raw still included him.
“The story is an injury, but he backed out of the show, essentially. You know it was at the last minute because on the graphic during RAW for the match it was Rusev, but they said Mysterio is in the match.”
It’s been known for months that Rusev hasn’t been all that pleased with his place in the company, and that his contract is nearing its end, so this may well be the latest blow to the relationship.
We’ll have to see whether this will have further consequences down the line.
- Possible Injury During AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Shock Title Change After Suprise Return At AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- VIDEO: Savage WWE Star Namedrop During Max Caster Rap At AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Major Heel Turn Ends AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- VIDEO: What Tiffany Stratton Said To Shawn Michaels Backstage After NXT Women’s Title Win
- Kenny Omega On Comparisons To Former WWE Champion: ‘I Take The L’
- VIDEO: MJF Pays Homage To WWE Star At AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- WWE Raw Star Zoey Stark Explains Alliance With Trish Stratus
- AEW All In Surpasses Impressive WWE Event Record
- WWE Star Makes History With Huge Title Win