WWE confirmed last month that The Undertaker will be appearing on the September 10 episode of Smackdown Live from Madison Square Garden.
Many people suspected that The Undertaker was brought back to boost poor ticket sales. However, it was reported that this was not the case, and that “The Deadman” was asked to appear for a storyline reason.
In line with his new gimmick of attacking WWE legends and Hall of Famers, some people speculated that The Undertaker’s return could be used to set up an attack by “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt.
With next week’s Smackdown being the go-home show before Clash of Champions, some even thought that The Fiend and The Deadman could subsequently be announced for the match at the pay-per-view.
However, Dave Meltzer is now reporting on the latest Wrestling Observer Radio that The Undertaker WILL NOT be wrestling at Clash of Champions. He says that Taker’s appearance was booked to help boost poor ticket sales:
“I was told that’s not the case [that Taker will wrestle at Clash Of Champions]. I thought that myself and I was told, ‘No. He’s gonna be on this show.’ Basically, the gist was going to be on the SmackDown show because they hoped that he would help sell tickets because they thought the [RAW] show would be an easy sell-out and the second show [SmackDown] would need help.”
Just because The Undertaker isn’t slated to wrestle at Clash of Champions doesn’t mean that he cannot set up a potential feud.
In the next two months we have Hell In A Cell and WWE’s second show in Saudi Arabia, so Taker alternatively could set up a match for either event instead of Clash of Champions.