After much speculation this past week, with names like Rey Mysterio, Vickie Guerrero, and Jeremy Borash thrown around, Daniel Bryan revealed the identity of the first-ever 205 Live General Manager on last night’s show.
Casually stood on the ramp alongside Bryan at the top of the show was ex-TNA star and BritWres stalwart Rockstar Spud, who has been through the dreaded WWE Creative Services re-brand and will now go under by the moniker Drake Maverick.
Despite the somewhat understated introduction and the 1980s mid-afternoon TV crime fighter-esque name, Maverick managed to make an immediate impact (pardon the pun), delivering a strong opening gambit that set out his stall.
Maverick addressed the Cruiserweight title situation right out of the gate, announcing a 16-man tournament for the vacant strap that would culminate at WrestleMania . . . likely on the pre-show, let’s be honest.
In the first two matches of the tournament, Cedric Alexander downed Gran Metalik and TJP dropped Tyler Bate. If WWE was looking to freshen up the struggling division, I would have flipped both of those results. More of the same is not going to get 205 Live out of the doldrums.
Next week’s show will feature a mouth-watering collision between Hideo Itami and Roderick Strong, and lucha action with Kalisto vs. Lince Dorado. The rest of the bracket has not yet been revealed.
- Rockstar Spud
- 205 live
- Cedric Alexander
- Gran Metalik
- Tyler Bate
- Drake Maverick
- Daniel Bryan
- Impact Wrestling
- Tony Khan Comments On Jade Cargill After WWE Signing
- Jade Cargill Comments On Officially Becoming A WWE Star
- Mustafa Ali’s Replacement Against Dominik Mysterio At NXT No Mercy Revealed
- Jade Cargill Reveals Why She Chose WWE Instead Of AEW
- Tony Khan Addresses NJPW Acquisition Rumors
- WWE Match Pulled From Show
- Brian Pillman Jr Introduced On WWE NXT
- WWE Star Debuts Brand New Look & Entrance Theme After Big Makeover
- Jade Cargill Breaks Silence On Joining WWE
- Top AEW Star Provides Injury Update On Kyle O’Reilly